New house and stable conversion
Location: Dungarvin, Co. Waterford
Inspired by close Irish vernacular clusters, a sheltered courtyard space is formed between the new L-shaped house and the existing 1930's dwelling. The clients lived in the 1930's house while the new l-shaped building was planned and constructed. The position is an elevated site with long views to the Waterford coastline. All the main living spaces have views facing the sea with corridors and entrance on the courtyard side. The courtyard gives shelter from the sea wind on windy days for outdoor living. The old house was converted to a stable with doors onto the paddock beyond after the clients moved into the new house. Certain existing traditional landscaping elements such as the small pedestrian gate and walk up to the house were preserved and incorporated into the design. An old ruin on the site was kept as a folly.